Thursday 31 January 2013

College of Naturopathic Medicine - Student Review

The College of Naturopathic Medicine (CNM) is often asked by prospective students and the general 'interested' public what draws people to study Naturopathy and what it is like studying with the CNM.
We asked CNM Graduate, Liadh Mulcahy-Fitzgerald ND, Dip. Ac, MANP, who made it clear that these questions are easily answered...

"Five years ago I was disillusioned with my career choices since leaving University. I had travelled and worked in Greece and London and found myself back in Ireland realising that I had never followed my true desires, which were to work with the general public in a health care capacity. I had spent the first part of my life in and out of hospitals and because of this I vowed to find an alternative to medicines and drugs (which were not a necessity to my well-being i.e. I would be okay without them). Therefore the thought of natural medicines were never far from my mind.

For the next eighteen months I scoured colleges trying to find a health care course which appealed to me. This course had to include superb training; a wide variety of health care choices from which clients could choose from and, it had to educate me in the ways of natural medicines. This course, to my dismay, seemed to be an impossibility to find - until I came across the CNM. Within days of gathering all the information I could find about the CNM, I signed up as a student and was on my way to becoming a Naturopathic Practitioner and Acupuncturist.

At the CNM, 'study' is the operative word (it has to be when you consider every exam has to be passed by 80%!). The college encourages students at every stage of their training, helping them with study plans, exam preparation etc. I have never studied in a college that is so student and exam focused. If the general public knew how well trained CNM students are they would have peace of mind knowing that their heath is in very good hands. As a practitioner I can now offer clients: Naturopathy; diet/lifestyle advice; iridology; detoxification; supplementation; nutritional advice etc. and either Acupuncture, Homeopathy or Herbal Medicine as a speciality. What other health care practitioners can offer such a diverse and holistic range of treatments to their clients?

I found life as a CNM student to be great fun, supremely challenging and highly educative. I am starting out as a Naturopathic Practitioner and Acupuncturist in Ballincollig, Cork and know that I am an extremely well trained and highly skilled practitioner, which is entirely due to the CNM, my teachers, the study co-ordinators, my fellow students and of course myself and my well worn desk!

For anyone wondering how to deal with their own illnesses; exchange antibiotics (etc.) for safe, effective and natural alternatives; maintain well-being and obtain optimal health then Naturopathy is the way forward. Furthermore if you want to understand why you are ill or why you have symptoms of disease then consult your Naturopath who is concerned with finding the root causes.

Finally, it is always important to remember that Orthodox medicine treats the symptoms of disease and is vital in life and death situations whereas Naturopathic medicine treats the underlying causes of disease and hence (from this) the symptoms. Fundamentally Naturopathy lays emphasis on the 'internal terrain' and when this is nourished and flourishing well, disease states can be well managed or eradicated.
To all fellow graduates and new or existing CNM students I wish you well and hope you all realise what a fantastic career you have ahead of you."

CNM UK:
Tel: 01342 410505
info@naturopathy-uk.com
www.naturopathy-uk.com








No comments:

Post a Comment